Given the enormous success of Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, developer Bluehole is of course going to continue to support the game for a while. But Playerunknown himself, Brendan Greene, said in a new interview that a sequel is not coming anytime soon.
Speaking to IGN, Greene was asked directly about the next five years of PUBG and if this will include a sequel. “Oh no,” Greene responded. Instead, players can expect PUBG to take the games-a-service model, with developer Bluehole updating and refreshing it with patches over time instead of making PUBG 2.
“We’re building this game as a service,” Greene said. “We’ll still have the boxed copy that you buy … we still want to polish and refine. Add more maps, add more assets, and continually refine the gameplay and optimise as we go forward.”
Greene clarified that PUBG will be available on Xbox One on a disc (in addition to digitally), if players want to pick it up at a physical retailer. Microsoft is publishing the Xbox One version of PUBG, and Greene said he’s excited to bring the game to a console like Xbox, which he said is synonymous with gaming. The Xbox One version of PUBG will launch later this year, though a specific release date hasn’t been announced yet.
This isn’t to say PUBG 2 will never happen, but it’s clear that it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Microsoft has said the same thing about a Minecraft sequel.
HypeGamezs is speaking with the PUBG development team soon for our own interview. Have a question about the game you want an answer to? You can submit any question you want and we’ll potentially pose it to the studio.
The point in the year when almost every week is bringing you yet another AAA release is upon us, and it’s hard to keep track. This week has two major releases, both of which are sequels, a localisation that’s coming to the West three years after its release in Japan, and yet another indie gem for the Switch. Here’s all the big releases to keep an eye out for.
88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition – October 10, Nintendo Switch
Originally released on Steam earlier this year, 88 Heroes is coming to the Nintendo Switch with the 98 Heroes Edition, which adds 10 new characters, new levels, and a new boss fight. As the 88 heroes, you must stop Dr. H8 by getting through 88 levels, with 88 seconds for each level while the 88 minute doomsday clock counts down, before he explodes 88 warheads. 88. You might even recognise some of the characters, as Rusty from SteamWorld Dig makes an appearance.
There’s something almost WarioWare-like in 88 Heroes, as 88 levels that can include 88 (98 in this version) heroes means everything quickly gets very weird, and it’s a test of you being able to adapt quickly to what each hero does and what each level offers.
Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online – October 10, PS4
This spinoff to the Hyperdimension Neptunia series is getting somewhat meta: the four goddesses, Neptune, Noire, Blanc, and Vert, are the focus of a new game. In Cyperdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddess Online, the four goddesses play the new game 4 Goddesses Online, where they’re four of the main characters. In the Cyberdimension, they must fight off the looming threat of the Demon King, to save the world.
So, that all sounds very confusing, but here’s the easier to understand version: you can play the game Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online. In that game, you will play as the titular 4 goddess. As a part of the game’s story, they’re the focus of a game within this world called 4 Goddesses Online, where they must play to possibly save the world. If you’ve managed to put all of that into some sort of chronology and enjoyed putting that together, Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online is probably for you.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War – October 10, PC, PS4, Xbox One
It might have been hard to miss this one, as there have been trailers being released constantly for the last few weeks, but Middle-earth: Shadow of War is coming out on October 10, 2017. For PC, Xbox One, and PS4, it’s the sequel to Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, which pitted you against legions of orcs, arming you with supernatural powers to overwhelm and control your enemies. What made it special was the Nemesis System, where enemies that either best you or flee from battle would remember who you are. If, for example, an enemy beat you by riding a beast, they might reference that later.
It also featured a full hierarchy system, where you could undermine targets by taking out their bodyguards, or possessing them to possibly have an enemy leader assassinated. The Nemesis System hasn’t ever been replicated, and Middle-earth: Shadow of War looks to build on it in every way.
The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition – October 12, Nintendo Switch
Already out on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, The Flame in the Flood is now coming to the Nintendo Switch to round off all the platforms it’s available on. As a young girl and her dog, you must survive in the wilderness, hiking over land and barreling down river on a flimsy raft.
A great storm has turned the entire of America into a series of islands, with huge, fast-flowing rivers separating them. Your goal is to fend off or flee from hostile creatures to, eventually, find shelter. Rather than being about creating a base, like other survival games, it’s more about constantly finding a new place to rest, as wild animals or the weather will, eventually, catch up to you.
The Evil Within 2 – October 13, PC, PS4, Xbox One
Shinji Mikami stepped down as director for his horror game’s sequel, with John Johanas stepping up to the role of director, but that doesn’t change how exciting The Evil Within 2 looks. While the first game definitely had some flaws, it was a tense and scary survival horror experience that showed promise in a genre that had, for a long time, felt like it was on its last legs.
This time, though, things are apparently going on a more “psychological horror” route, with a more personal story about a detective who must save his daughter by going into alternate dimensions. It’s also less linear this time around, giving more ways around each level, perhaps rewarding different playstyles. Any survival horror game with Shinji Mikami on the team is worth keeping an eye on.
Chaos;Child – October 13, PS4, PS Vita
Originally released in December 2014, Chaos;Child had never made it out of Japan until now. It’s the fourth game in the Science Adventure series, which you might recognise for being the series Stein’s;Gate belongs to. While plot elements and certain other things carry over between games, it’s not a series that requires you to know everything about the games before it. Chaos;Child follows on from Chaos;Head, but you don’t need to know what’s already happened to enjoy Chaos;Child.
It’s a gruesome visual novel where you must work to investigate a series of murders that relate back to the events of Chaos;Head, while trying to fight against many delusions that the main character experiences while doing so. Positive and negative delusions will push the story in different directions, ultimately finishing with a different ending. If a little absurdity in your sci-fi and some rather gruesome (actually incredibly gruesome) murder cases are your style, Chaos;Child is coming to PS4 and PS Vita soon.
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle – October 13, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS Vita
The Touhou games, all coming under the Project Touhou banner, are generally incredibly difficult bullet hell games, where you’re forced to learn patterns and perform precise movements to avoid attacks. Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle, though, is a 3D fighting game where you’ll use characters’ abilities to fight with both ranged and melee attacks.
There’s still that bullet hell element to the game, where you’re avoiding projectiles, but it’s much more relaxed, as 3D movement and the alternate focus of fighting game-based combat makes the bullet hell element less of a focus. It’s very much for fans of the Touhou Project, but if you are a fan of it, it’s definitely going to be up your street.
If you haven’t yet gotten around to trying out the Star Wars Battlefront II beta, or you simply haven’t had your fill, you’re in luck. Electronic Arts has extended the beta an extra two days, providing players with more time to see what the sequel has to offer.
The beta had been scheduled to end earlier yesterday, but it will now instead run until Wednesday, October 11. EA didn’t say why it made the change or if any additional content would be introduced. As it stands, you can sample four modes: Galactic Assault, Starfighter Assault, Strike, and Arcade. The first three are online multiplayer modes that range in maximum player count (going as high as 40 in Galactic Assault). Arcade is a 1-2 player mode with offline split-screen support.
Star Wars Battlefront II releases on November 17. We’ve already played some of the content featured in the beta and came away impressed. Interestingly, the 2005 Star Wars: Battlefront II has also received a new update that restored multiplayer and allows cross-play between Steam and GOG.
One of the greatest RPGs of all time is free for a limited time on Steam. As you might have guessed from the image above, you can grab Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, the original Fallout, for free!
All you need to do is go to the Fallout Steam Page and click install game. After that, the game will be yours to keep forever, or rather, until the inevitable robot uprising occurs.
Why is one of the best RPGs ever created free you might ask? Well, it’s because today marks the 20-year anniversary of the franchise. The original game released on this day in 1997.
That is also why the time on this freebie is also very limited. You have until tonight at 11:59 PT (or 08:59 on 1 October in South African time) to grab it and keep it forever, so get to it right now.
The download is only 665mb and your toaster can probably run the game, as the game only requires 16mb of RAM and a 90Mhz or faster CPU.
“You’ve just unearthed the classic post-apocalyptic role-playing game that revitalized the entire CRPG genre. The Fallout® SPECIAL system allows drastically different types of characters, meaningful decisions, and development that puts you in complete control. Explore the devastated ruins of a golden age civilization. Talk, sneak or fight your way past mutants, gangsters, and robotic adversaries. Make the right decisions or you could end up as another fallen hero in the wastelands…”- Source
RuneScape recently had a tournament called the Deadman Invitational during Runefest this year and the outcome turned out to be quite the controversy. The tournament had a $20,000 pot for the winner, but it turns out that winner actually cheated and is now being disqualified.
The Deadman Invitational wrapped up on September 25 with publisher Jagex putting out a press release revealing the winners. A few days later, they released a new statement, nullifying the results as it came to light that the winner cheated. They’re now unsure of what to do with the prize funds.
The cheating in question wasn’t immediately obvious, as Old School RuneScape’s Deadman mode comprises of 2000 players being dropped onto islands and whittling each other down. It would be easy to miss an unsanctioned alliance between seven players teaming up against the rest of the players. In response, Jagex disqualified these players.
“We’re proud of our attempts to continue innovating to ensure a fresh and competitive finish to each tournament,” Jagex Said on the official RuneScape site. “The initial reaction to distributing survivors across four Islands was very positive, and it’s clear that we’re moving in the right direction.
“The red island was warned repeatedly, and we reached out many, many times to them. Whilst we did appropriately warn players that failure to fight would result in disqualification, it ultimately did mean that we had to make a tough decision ‘in the moment’.
“In hindsight perhaps we could’ve opted to take a random member of the team through to the final area, but we stand by the decision we made.”
The situation gets worse, however. The actual winner of the tournament was further disqualified for being the face of a bot farm, the ruiner of all MMORPGs.
“A standard subsequent investigation into the winner of the tournament took place and the winner was responsible for the creation of a bot farm. Naturally, all accounts linked to this botting activity have now been banned,” Jagex wrote.
But the question that still remains is what will Jagex do with the $20,000 prize money, which the cheaters have now forfeit? They’ve raised a few ideas, from distributing it among the remaining finalists, carrying it over to the next season, making a charitable donation, or a mixture of those options.
Luckily, Jagex has taken the difficulties they’ve faced in this tournament as a learning experience.“Going forward we’ll be utilising a number of the points raised in today’s retrospective,” the company states. “We’ll continue to discuss how best we can change the mechanics of the final, with a view to implementing the changes as early as possible and with a potential beta playthrough.”
It seems they’ve learned where their weaknesses lie, in terms of exploitable gameplay, publically admit to it, and aim to fix it in the future. As the publisher of a classic, we can only hope they aim to do just that,
The mobile gaming market is undoubtedly a fruitful one, with many major developers like Nintendo and Ubisoft releasing games in an attempt to expand the reach of their respective brands. It is known that Blizzard is another major publisher that looks like it too will be joining the fray, but what exactly they are working on remains a mystery.
A previous job listing referenced a “passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP,” and now a few more have popped up in regards to a mobile title. However, it’s worth noting that it’s not confirmed if the job postings are for the same game, but they do reveal that a game being worked on behind the scenes is an “MMO RTS” for mobile.
Here are snippets from the job listings:
Senior Client Engineer, Unannounced Project:
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an experienced Unity mobile client engineer to work on an unannounced MMO RTS project. The ideal applicant has an unwavering passion for mobile development and solving engineering problems unique to mobile app environments. If you thrive in an environment that values creativity, collaboration, and knowledge sharing, then drop us a line!
- 5+ years of Game Development experience
- iOS and/or Android development experience
- Experience with Unity
- Strong understanding of 3D graphics and shaders
[Note: This page has since been taken down. It’s unclear why.]
Lead Artist, Unannounced Project:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced Lead Artist to help us guide the art vision and development for a new game experience for mobile. Your goal is to meld great art with great gameplay by leading the art team, creating production artwork, and actively communicating and thriving on a small team.
You have a passion for Blizzard games and understand the unique approach to creating content for our game universes.
Avid player of mobile games
Unity and mobile development experience
Environment Artist, Unannounced Project:
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptional Environment Artist to join us in creating a new gaming experience for mobile.
The environment artist is responsible for modeling and composing 3D game environments.
It’s entirely possible that Blizzard is indeed making two mobile games, though common sense would likely dictate that the company would want to test the waters of the market on one game first before fully committing to two. But stranger things have happened.
We’ll hopefully soon learn what it is Blizzard is up to.
— Via Blizzard and NeoGAF —